Worldwide, influenza epidemics result in about three to five million cases of severe illness, and about 250 000 to 500 000 deaths. Most deaths associated with influenza in industrialized countries occur among people age 65 or older, in the chronically ill, or in the immune compromised. About 13% of the US population gets the flu each and according to some estimates the flu results in 100 million lost work days, nearly $7 billion in lost wages and 32 million missed school days. The flu is, however, highly preventable. Each year you can take steps toward minimizing your time out of work or school. These guidelines below may help you with a flu free fall and winter.
- Cover the head when outdoors.
- Avoid touching eyes, nose, or mouth with hands, wash hands frequently.
- If you can, avoid close contact with those who have a cold or flu.
- Include at least 30 minutes of exercise 4 days a week.
- Avoid smoking.
- Practice Mindfulness to reduce stress: for example: deep breathing, meditation, nature walks, or yoga into lifestyle daily.
- Get at least 7 hours of sleep every day.
- Do therapeutic contrast showers (5 min hot / 30 sec cold) or before showering do a 10-minute outdoor walk daily.
- Use HEPA filters that remove particulate, spores, bacteria, and viruses from your environment. I use IQ Air purifiers for my home and office.
- Reduce sugar intake in diet.
- Reduce consumption of packaged goods.
- Reduce phlegm producing foods such as ice cream, shell fish, wheat, and dairy.
- Eat whole foods especially fruits and vegetables, beans, and seeds which include vitamins, minerals, carotenoids, antioxidants, and bioflavanoids. Strive for 2-3 servings of fruit/day and 4-7 servings of vegetables per day.
- Eat garlic (2 cloves daily) and onions into your diet. Chop garlic and let stand for 5 minutes before utilizing.
- Drink 5-8 glasses of water daily, drink diluted vegetable juices and soups.
- If opposed to vaccination consider homeopathic preventative strategies such as Mucococcinum by Genestra. More specific homeopathic remedies are created each year based on the current flu. Remedies are also prescribed based on the symptoms other people currently suffer from. Contact a Naturopathic Physician or Classical Homeopath to get a remedy.
- Take a high potency multivitamin daily
- Take pro-biotic supplement (at least 30 billion microorganisms daily)
- Adults Take 2000 IU’s of Vitamin D3 (cholecalciferol) every day during the fall and winter. At onset of symptoms this doseage can be increased to double for a short period of three days (ask your doctor first!)
- Take herbal anti-virals such as Elderberry (sambucol) at the onset of symptoms
- Oscillococcinum by (BOIRON) 1-vial twice/day or three times per/ day with onset of cold/flu symptoms.
- Take Immunoglobulins from Bovine Colustrum and/or Thymus gland extract.at onset of symptoms.
• Consider flu vaccine especially in high risk groups.
Please contact me at http://www.drsaltpaw.com/or your health care provider regarding these strategies before starting them. Although this list is difficult to accomplish in its entirety, you will find that implementing even some of the ideas will help keep you on the healthy end of the continuum.