Someone wrote to me asking for tips on how to deal with stress-induced eating.
It happens to everyone. Myself included.
Something triggers an urge to eat a pint of ice cream or a bacon cheeseburger with fries. It could be an argument with a loved one, a tension-filled business meeting, a bad day in general.
Here’s a strategy I use when I get stressed and tempted.
1. Talk yourself out of it. Give yourself 15 minutes. Be mindful of why you want to eat these items. Ask yourself, ‘Will you really enjoy it? And how will you feel afterwards?’
2. Distract yourself. Give yourself another 15 minutes. Walk around the block. Check your email. Watch an inspiring youtube video like this one of a man who lost over 140 pounds.
3. Call someone supportive. Your trainer, a friend, or family member. Talk to them about what’s bothering you. Maybe they can help you through it.
4. If none of the above works and you MUST have something choose a healthier substitute. My predetermined substitutes are dark chocolate or trail mix. I don’t have these items in the house or office. I get in my car and drive to the store for them. Here’s a list of snack ideas to help you choose healthfully. Click here
5. Get on track again. Don’t look back. Resume your exercise and healthy eating without delay and don’t beat yourself up. The important thing is you make healthy choices MOST of the time.